Pope Leo XIV Issues Stern Warning on Donald Trump Amid Iran Tensions

Tensions between the United States and Iran reached a fever pitch this week, prompting an unusually strong reaction from Pope Leo XIV. The Pope’s statement came after President Donald Trump threatened the complete destruction of “a whole civilization” before a temporary ceasefire was announced.

The U.S.-Iran conflict had been escalating for over a month, culminating on Tuesday evening with a two-week ceasefire agreement reached just before Trump’s self-imposed deadline. Both nations claimed victory in the negotiations.

President Trump announced that the ceasefire would proceed only after Iran agreed to reopen the strategic Strait of Hormuz. He described Iran’s 10-point peace proposal as “a workable basis for negotiations” and projected that a final agreement could be reached within the next two weeks. Trump characterized the deal as a “total and complete victory” for the United States, adding that Washington would help ease the backlog of maritime traffic in the strait.

Escalation Fears Spark Global Concern

The ceasefire came after Trump posted a warning on Truth Social, threatening the annihilation of Iranian civilization. His message sent shockwaves worldwide, raising fears of large-scale escalation, including the possibility of nuclear conflict.

“A whole civilization will die tonight, never to be brought back again,” Trump wrote. “I don’t want that to happen, but it probably will. However, now that we have Complete and Total Regime Change, where different, smarter, and less radicalized minds prevail, maybe something revolutionarily wonderful can happen, WHO KNOWS?”

Pope Leo XIV Speaks Out

The Pope, U.S.-born and globally recognized as a moral authority, condemned the threat, urging world leaders to prioritize diplomacy over violence. Speaking outside Castel Gandolfo before the ceasefire, Pope Leo emphasized the moral and humanitarian consequences of striking civilian targets.

“I would simply say, once again, what I said in the ‘Urbi et Orbi’ message on Sunday: asking all people of goodwill to search, always, for peace and not violence; to reject war, especially a war which many have called unjust, which is escalating, and which resolves nothing,” he said.

The Pope stressed that the ongoing conflict in the Middle East “only provokes more hatred” and urged all parties to return to diplomatic negotiations to find a lasting solution.

Protecting Innocents and Upholding International Law

Pope Leo highlighted the impact of war on civilians, particularly children, the elderly, and the sick. He reminded leaders that attacks on civilian infrastructure violate international law and called on citizens worldwide to contact their political representatives with a simple message: advocate for peace.

“Tell them to work for peace and to reject war,” the Pope said.

As of now, Donald Trump has not publicly responded to Pope Leo’s remarks. The international community continues to watch the U.S.-Iran ceasefire closely, hoping this temporary pause can pave the way toward a longer-lasting resolution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *