U.S. Officials Announce Elimination of Iranian Figure Linked to Alleged Assassination Plot Against Trump

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth revealed new details Wednesday about the ongoing military campaign against Iran, including the killing of an Iranian commander whom U.S. forces said was linked to an alleged plot against Donald Trump. ([Military Times][1])

Speaking at a press briefing, Hegseth said American forces, working as part of the joint Operation Epic Fury with Israel, located and killed the leader of the unit the Pentagon claims was responsible for planning the 2024 assassination effort. “Iran tried to kill President Trump,” he said. “And President Trump got the last laugh.” ([Air Force Times][2])

Officials have not provided specific details about the individual’s identity, and the U.S. military emphasized that targeting assassination planners was added to the operational list but was not the primary goal of the offensive. ([mint][3])


Broader Military Campaign Continues

Hegseth used the press conference to update the public on the broader U.S. and Israeli air campaign against Iranian military infrastructure. He said the United States and allied forces aim to establish significant air superiority over Iran in the coming days, describing the current phase of the operation as “only just beginning.” ([The Guardian][4])

According to his statements, the joint campaign has struck hundreds of Iranian military targets and reduced key offensive capabilities, including ballistic missiles and drone forces. Hegseth also asserted that within a week, U.S. and Israeli forces will have “complete control of Iranian skies,” meaning continuous aerial operations over the country. ([mint][5])


Conflict Escalation and Global Response

The announcement comes amid widening hostilities following initial U.S. and Israeli airstrikes on Iranian territory. American military leaders have acknowledged that the conflict could last weeks and may require sustained effort. Iranian retaliation has included missile and drone attacks across the Middle East, leading to casualties among U.S. service members and allied personnel. ([mint][5])

The Pentagon has stressed that while air defense systems remain active in protecting U.S. forces and allies, they cannot intercept every incoming threat. ([Reddit][6])


Statements on Turbulence and Strategy

At the briefing, Hegseth made clear that the administration views air dominance and targeted strikes as central to its military objective. “We are accelerating, not decelerating,” he said, adding that the United States will continue using precision-guided munitions to degrade Iran’s military infrastructure. ([Air Force Times][2])

He also dismissed suggestions that Iranian forces could withstand prolonged pressure, saying Tehran’s resources and capabilities are significantly diminished. ([mint][5])


No Official Confirmation of Attempt on Trump’s Life

While the Pentagon confirmed that forces killed an Iranian linked to an alleged plot, independent verification of a direct assassination attempt on Donald Trump has not been disclosed. U.S. authorities previously charged an Iranian national in 2024 over a purported murder-for-hire plot targeting Trump, but Tehran has denied involvement in official assassination efforts. ([The Jerusalem Post][7])


What Happens Next

With the military campaign ongoing, U.S. and Israeli forces continue striking strategic targets while pressuring Iran’s missile and drone infrastructure. Defense officials say operations against Iran will continue until strategic objectives are met and Iran’s threat to American forces and allies is substantially reduced. ([mint][5])

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *